Saturday, July 19, 2008

No more Binky!


So I think we may have said goodbye to the "binky"! Lindsay loves bedtime, she even asks for "night night" sometimes when she is tired. It's not because she is such a dreamy child...it's because she loves her binky and she gets it only at bedtime. It has been so nice not to have a fight at bedtime, so we've just let her keep it. I knew there would be time soon that we would "lose" it, but I haven't been sure I was ready for that battle. Well...I noticed at the beginning of this week that her binky had a tear in it from biting it while she sucked on it over time (this is the same binky she came home from the hospital with). I was happy because I thought the tear would continue to grow, she wouldn't find it as desirable, and she would gradually reject it.
Let's just say somehow that plan got accelerated! I don't know what came over me, but Thursday Lindsay took the binky out of her bed to play with her baby, but she would have it in her mouth most of the time. We took it from her and in a rash moment I told Lauren to snip off the end of the binky along the bite marks--you know, help the process along. That night at bedtime she didn't want her binky when she noticed it was "broken." A bit of a fit followed for the next half hour when she realized there weren't any more binkys...but, each nap time and bedtime since the fits have decreased in length. Today's nap there wasn't much more than a whimper! We are keeping our fingers crossed for tonight! Some days it's easier to Enjoy the Journey!

5 comments:

Ashli said...

Good for you. I love it when you set yourself up for what you think is going to be so traumatic and it's not as bad as you think.

Lindy said...

wow--that's a big achievement for sure! cute little Lindsay. I amazed that you have kept track of the same binky from the hospital--we've lost many a binkies along the way.

Mark said...

Angelle copied your binky snip idea and it worked! Chase had his first binky free night last night... great idea

Angelle said...

Julie! Oh my gosh, how funny! Mark told me yesterday you weaned Lindsay from her binki too. I should have talked to you before Monday because I was so nervous to really do it. But Chase has done awesome other than taking forever to fall asleep. It really was not the big deal I thought it would be. Good little toddlers, I'm glad she did so well.

Anonymous said...

Such cute kids