Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tomatoes!!!!


I have an awesome new favorite! Slow roasted tomatoes! Oh! My! Goodness! This is a totally easy and delicious way to process those fresh tomatoes from your garden. I got 4 ice-cream buckets full from my parents last week and knew exactly what to do with them--see I don't actually LOVE plain tomatoes. I've tried over and over in my lifetime because my Dad has always grown them and they look delicious, but I've always sort of gagged on them. I do love a good bruschetta, caprese salad (with lots of balsamic) or salsa, etc--but not usually straight-up. Anyway...If I were you, I would do this with your tomatoes!

Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Cut tomatoes in half and place cut side down on large cookie sheet that has been covered with:

1 Tb Olive Oil
2 T dried Italian Seasoning
1 T coarse salt
1 T fennel seed (a must!)
fresh ground pepper
unpeeled garlic cloves (my recipe calls for this, but I just add garlic to the sauce when I use it)

Rub the cut side of the tomato in the "paste" and pack in pan tightly--I do it tight so I can fit as many as possible on a pan. Cook on convection bake 225 F for 4 hours or until tomatoes are soft and skin pulls right off. I drain some of the juice off the tomatoes when I am packing them up in a ziploc tupperware. You can use this for pizza sauce--YUMMY, lasagne sauce, on a pasta, etc. We just had it for dinner at our house last night! Loving the journey!

3 comments:

Lindy said...

I can't wait to try this--thanks for sharing! You know we have the same "fresh tomato" problem at our house :) but as long as they're cooked, Nate will eat them.

Traci said...

Julie, wow I'm proud of you, next you'll be eating onions! Ha, just kidding, this sounds amazing! I will definitely try it!

Mandy said...

That dishwasher story is hilarious. Sorry we missed Cal's baptism! We were planning on coming, but our girls have a cold. We didn't feel that it would be very nice to share that with everbody.
Peter