Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mother of the Year Award goes to....

...not me. A couple of weeks ago Calvin and I were in the kitchen together. We had a conversation that went a little bit like this. "Mom, if we don't get a baby brother, can I be adopted by one of my friend's families?" Huh? I was a bit shocked and said something like, "Why would you want to go live with someone else?" Then he said something like, "Because I really want a brother." I came back with, "Wouldn't you miss us?" To which he thought about it for a minute and shrugged, as if to say, "I don't know." I stewed for a minute and then chose to reply with a tender teaching moment, "Sometimes you can't control what you are given. Heavenly Father sends you what He thinks is right for you. What would you think if we got another baby sister?" He didn't respond and I thought we had come to an understanding, until he said out of the blue several minutes later..."yeah, I want to be adopted." So if you see something that looks a little like this picture, with the addition of a red handkerchief holding all his possessions and tied to a stick that's resting on his shoulder, you'll know that Calvin has left us for greener pastures!
I think things have smoothed out a bit since and he wants to stay with us...I think. So much for that Primary Song "Families can be Together Forever." Just warms a mother's heart! Not!

5 comments:

Angelle said...

Oh! Oh! We'll take him!! He gets two brothers in our house. Can I also take a daughter too? I will be asking Mark similar adoption questions if I don't have a girl someday. ;)

Traci said...

OH Jules, boys will be boys! Mine all want to be adopted and we have plenty of brothers....maybe it has something to do with the mother! I love the picture, it goes perfectly!

CarolAnne said...

When Jonathan was age 10, he asked me if I had been through menopause because he wanted a baby brother. (I think he learned about that from "Father of the Bride 2"). I told him I was already age 47 and I would be REALLY, really old for that little guy. He said to talk to Dad about it. Jim and I had a very short conversation! Have Calvin talk with his Grandpa Barrett...he survived three sisters. :)

Leigh said...

Hey Julie! I found your blog through Shauna's. I love that story. I think we all have those. I remember wanting to go live with some family friends of ours, so my mom said she'd help me pack up my things and take me over. It scared me to death, so I changed my mind pretty quickly. Your kids are getting so big, we miss you all.

I'm taking my blog private on Friday. I'd love to add you to my list. Just leave your email in my comments.

Mandy said...

That is priceless. My girls REALLY want a brother too. Anne is only 3 months old and Audrey is praying already for me to have, not just a boy, but 3...so they will all have a prince to play with. Luckily, she doesn't know about adoption yet!