Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Sister Barrett, do I HAVE to do this?"


YM/YW on Tuesday was...interesting. We went to the Church Dairy Farm in Elberta--look it up--to "muck" out cow stalls! No, I'm not kidding! Yes, it was beyond freezing cold, the stalls were outdoors, and we were mucking and standing in manure, etc! Luckily they provided knee high boot covers for us--I can't imagine the mess in the leader's cars if they hadn't--and we knew we were going to be working outside so most of us dressed warm. (It never fails that some of the kids always show up without coats, gloves, warm shoes...and one girl was even wearing pajama pants--she did have a hat, though!) Yes, the smell was horrible, especially when they "flushed" the gutter with a river about 8 inches deep of a diabolical roaring mixture of water, urine, manure, etc! The cows pretty much left us alone and we felt good (at least that's what we kept pointing out the the kids) about the service we provided. The most memorable part of the night for me was a few girls asking me about every two minutes if she HAD to do this...her hands were cold, she was going to throw-up, she has a sensitive nose...REALLY? Well, then you should probably go back to the car...the rest of us LOVE this and can't smell a thing! It was a good experience for the kids...too bad the leaders had to do it, too--ya know? Oh, and I loved the support I got from home. Jeff just laughed and laughed when I told him about it that night, then he said, "K, go have a shower." Me? Do I smell or something?

6 comments:

Ashli said...

Forget the chosen generation, hate to say it but I think the youth can be quite a spoiled generation. I'm glad it was a good experience though. It's funny to hear Sister Barrett, I thought you were talking about my Mom. Can't wait for Wednesday!

Adam Goodman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam Goodman said...

ha ha ha! This was a walk down memory lane for me. As a youth I went to the church dairy farm in Erda regularly. We mucked the stalls, painted the fences, stacked hay. Though I will admit that I never had to go in freezing weather. It must have been miserable. That is real dedication. You are awesome.

La Mujer Loca said...

Whew! I'm glad none of our leaders ever thought up that activity. By the way, on my blog, "Cows with Guns" is dedicated to you. You'll probably appreciate it more now.:-)

Jenni said...

We lived on the church dairy in Salem when we were first married and my sweet hubby was "that guy" for the first few years of our marriage. That is why we go to school right!!

Yoga Girl said...

So, who was the leader with that brilliant plan? They should be released. (ha ha ha)
Way to go and be supportive. YOu are my hero! :)